More facts on domestic violence from Women in Distress:
• 85 percent of domestic violence victims are women.
• One in every three women will experience domestic violence in her lifetime.
• Every day, four women die in this country as a result of domestic violence — that’s about 1,400 women a year.
• In 2008, there were 113,123 reported cases of domestic violence in Florida, according to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Of those, 7,475 were reported in Broward County.
• In 2007, females were the victims in 85 percent of domestic violence homicides in Florida.
• Pregnant women are twice as likely to experience domestic violence as women who are not pregnant.
• About 8.8 million children witness domestic violence each year.
• 30 percent to 60 percent of perpetrators of intimate-partner violence also abuse children in the household.
• Children who have witnessed violence at home are five times more likely to commit or suffer violence when they become adults.
• Nearly one in five teenage girls report that their boyfriend threatened violence or self-harm when presented with a breakup.
• One in five teens in a serious relationship report having been hit, slapped or pushed by a partner.
• Nearly half of all boys and girls say the abuse occurs in a school building or on school grounds.
If you have been accused of domestic violence and are facing a criminal charge in Orange County or Seminole County, Florida, please call my office for a free case evaluation and learn how Tilden Law can defend your rights.